Monday, April 9, 2018

Acrylic Pouring

Hello everyone

You have probably noticed that there are lost of posts about Acrylic Pouring popping into your news feeds on facebook.  There are in my feed too so I thought that I would have a go at this totally addictive if expensive and wasteful art form.

First off you need to gather some supplies.

















































































































































OK there is no exact science to measuring ingredients and everyone who I have spoken with mixes their paints very approximately.

You also need a bunch of plastic cups and it is absolutely essential that you cover whatever workspace you use because you get all kinds of overspill from the pouring.  I have used some construction style brown paper because we have loads of it in the house.

As many of you know, I have made a series of 6 panels using the colors above and the method I used is called a dirty pour.

What you do is add some white glue, Floetrol, and paint to some cups and mix up the color really really well.  Once you have mixed all your colors in separate cups, add a couple of drops of 100% silicone and stir each cup.

Then take another cup and "layer" your paints in the cup you will pour from.  When I did this each color remained fairly separated.  Once you have all your paint in your pouring cup you are ready do do your "dirty pour".

The way I did this was to put some plastic handled push pins in the back side of the frame of 6 canvasses so that they were raised above my work surface.  Once all were in position, I was ready to start playing.

























Here is a quick shot of a couple of the cups ready to be mixed.

























As I said above, there is no exact way of doing this.

When I did my pour, I poured all the paint in three swipes across all 6 panels.  Once that was done, I picked up each panel and "moved" the paint by sloping the panels in each direction until the entire canvas was covered and I got some paint running down the sides of each panel as well.  Once that was done for all 6 panels, I stood back and looked.  I had absolutely no idea what these panels would eventually look like but while they were still wet they were totally awesome.

On a slight side note here, you need to do your pour in a relatively still air atmosphere.  That prevents dust sticking to the pour.

Below you can see all 6 panels with their overspill.  It took about 4 days for them the dry completely.  I then sprayed them several times with clear lacquer and they are ready to be hung.

They are actually going into the guest room/nursery as a grouping and I am now waiting on Mr. Wonderful to work his magic and hang them for me.

























Mr. Wonderful has now hung up these 6 panels in our guest room/nursery.  This room has a bluish grey wall paint and dark grey curtains in it.




























Since I wrote most of this I have tracked down a recipe.  This one says:

5 parts Floetrol
3 parts Paint
1 part water

I have not tried this recipe (yet).  Also I have to point out that I used Dina Wakley heavy body acrylic paint.  Most other people have used regular liquid acrylic paint which I have not yet tried.

If you decide to try this asbsolutely wonderful technique, please post with details.

Thank you for looking.

2 comments:

  1. They are absolutely gorgeous Annette. I bet they would be beautiful in Purples, gray, white and black. Purple is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete